Special Event Permits

Special events and activities held on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers grounds, such as fishing tournaments, boat regattas, weddings, rowing events, special recreation programs and other organized events, require written permission from the Mobile District Commander.

A Special Event Permit is required for any event or activity and must be obtained from the West Point Project Management Office at least 30 days prior to the event or activity.  This permit is in addition to any permits that may be required by the Department of Natural Resources for water-related events. 

The Corps of Engineers manages these events through a Special Events Permit Program that is designed to minimize scheduling conflicts by groups, prevent overuse of the lake, ensure equal access to recreation areas, and enhance public safety.  

FISHING TOURNAMENTS:   A minimum $75.00 fee will be charged for each permit issued for up to 10 tournaments held during the calendar year with 10 or more boats.  This $75.00 fee does not preclude the normal $5 day-use fee .  Valid U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Annual Day-Use Passes and America the Beautiful Passes will also be honored. Please see our Pass Program page for more information.

BOAT REGATTAS: A minimum $75.00 permit fee is charged for each group up to five (5) regattas.

OTHER EVENTS:  Organized events on government property, including waters, such as weddings, graduations, rowing, or other events are required to have a minimum $75.00 Special Events Permit. Reservation of an entire park will not be permitted. 

INSURANCE: Insurance may be required for the following events that exceed 50 participants: religious ceremonies, social ceremonies (weddings, etc), club fishing tournament or family reunions; non-motorized events such as volleyball tournaments, foot races, canoe regattas, etc; events involving mechanical apparatus, such as boats, personal watercraft, motorcycles, bikes, etc.    

EXCEPTION:  Rental of a group shelter for a wedding that are held under the shelter will not be required to obtain a Special Events Permit.

APPLICATION PROCESS:  Special Events Permit applications will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.  Special Event or Fishing Permit applications can be submitted along with the $75.00 payment by credit card or check/money order (made payable to “FAO MOBILE") can be submitted in person or mailed to:

West Point Project Management Office, Special Events
500 Resource Management Drive
West Point, GA 31833

Applications should be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event.